Friday, March 13, 2009

Only a folded up flag on the mantle




I don't want to come home to a folded up flag on my wall. I want to be able to come home and hold my husband. We don't always get what we want though. I pray to God that my husband is one of the lucky ones that makes it home. I know enough people that have lost loved ones over there, I don't want to know anymore.

Several years ago I was back in WI visiting family. I was on my way to meet a gf of mine (had just gotten off the phone with her). I was waiting where we were supposed to meet forever. Finally she showed up and got out of her car. She was in tears. I asked her what was wrong and she said 'S' died. I was shocked!! I couldn't believe it. I knew that he was over seas. H and S were to be married upon his return. She was living in his apt., with his cat. she spoke about how they'd planned to have kids when he returned. He had only been in the sandbox a few months, he had just gotten there. His stay there was short and he was to be on his way back home, only not the way he left. He was going to be flying back in a cargo plane, in a wood box. The homecoming wouldn't be joyous. Instead, his family would be filled with tears of heartache and pain. All she has is memories (great ones) and pictures.

Another friend of mine 'Nay' called a year ago to say that R had been killed. Nay and R were best friends in HS. I know Nay will never forget the times they shared in HS.

The list could go on and on.

I don't want 'just' memories and pictures. I want to be able to touch him and smell him. I don't want only a folded up flag on the mantle.


No comments:

Post a Comment